Starting in the late 1830s many Lutherans came from Germany and permanently settled in what became the Brighton area.
In 1842, approximately twenty-five German immigrant families along with the Buek’s, began to gather together in Genoa Township for worship with the Reverend Frederick Schmid presiding.
On the feast day of St. George in 1845, they decided to organize for the purpose of forming a new congregation and building a church. They chose the name: The Evangelical Lutheran St. George’s Congregation of Genoa, Michigan.
In 1855, the congregation doubled in size. The church walls were finished with plaster, and tables and benches placed inside.
On June 1, 1921, the congregation of St. George voted to move the church into the village of Brighton. The site was selected and on April 23, 1922, the cornerstone for the present day church was laid. The old church was then dismantled, loaded onto wagons, and reassembled at the current location. A pipe organ was installed replacing the original pump organ. During the reconstruction church services were held at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church who graciously held its own services in the afternoon to accommodate the worshipers from St. George. In September 2006, the original pump organ was located and graciously donated to St. George. It can be seen in library area where it is on display.
In 2020, St. George celebrated its 175th anniversary.